715-356-7712 | Minocqua, WI

500 Oneida St

Minocqua, WI 54548

 

Little Irish Pub on the Corner

"Where locals and visitors meet"

T Murtaugh's Pub and Eatery | Minocqua, WI Burger

Dine in

tonight

Are you hungry for a burger and a pint? Come and join us tonight!

Thomas Murtaugh Bolger was the original owner of the building now known as T Murtaugh’s Pub and Eatery and the adjacent Lee Ann’s Gift Shop. The building was originally located on the corner of Flambeau and Front Street (across the street from the current post office). In 1905, Mr. Bolger, using a team of horses and timbers, had the solid brick building moved to its present location. At that time, he used the upstairs of the building for his residence, where he and his wife, Bernadette, raised their six children: Victor, Loretto, Patrick, Jane, Mary, and Lillian.

 

The downstairs of the building was used for various purposes from 1905-1936, including a drugstore and a pool hall. In 1936, Thomas Bolger started a tavern on the current premises and was its first proprietor. However, the pressure of raising his family, and his many other ventures (including running a general store), not to mention the objections of his wife, caused him to begin a practice of leasing out the premises to various individuals who ran the business for him.

 

The first of these businessmen was named George Jacobs, who ran the tavern in the late 30s and 40s under the name “Jake’s Dry Dock.” In the 50s it was run by Bill Chapman and was known as “Chapman’s Bar.” Jack Kelliher took over the bar in the 1960s and changed the name to “Kelliher’s.” Jack was also the one who introduced the delicious deli sandwiches to the bill of fare. Tom Gabel ran the bar in the late 70s and 80s and the tavern was known as “Gabel’s.” In the early 90s, the Teichmiller family were the proprietors of the business. It was at that time when the name was returned to something connected with the original owner and proprietor; hence the name “T Murtaugh’s Pub.”

 

In 1995, the Bolger family remodeled the bar, retaining its traditional Irish Pub atmosphere. The management of “TMurtaugh’s Pub” was entrusted to Scott P. Mickle for the years of 1997-1998. In January of 1999, after almost 100 years of ownership, the Bolger family sold the Pub to Scott, making him the second owner of the century. In the spring of 2001, T Murtaugh’s Pub was expanded to the storefront of 502 Oneida Street. The expansion included a new dining room, new kitchen, an additional bar, and much needed bathrooms.

 

We know that T Murtaugh himself would have wanted everyone to enjoy his establishment. He was a consummate gentleman, but like any good Irishman, he enjoyed a good time and a pint or two now and then. He would have hoisted a glass in honor of your presence, so please hoist a glass to the memory of this wonderful man and to the friendly Irish Pub which he established many years ago. He would have liked that.

                                                                                                                                                                                                       Scott and Susan Mickle

History of Murtaugh's

Burger and beer

715-356-7712 | Minocqua, WI

500 Oneida St

Minocqua, WI 54548

 

Little Irish Pub on the Corner

"Where locals and visitors meet"

T Murtaugh's Pub and Eatery | Minocqua, WI